Part-Time Tutoring/Mentoring Position
The Girls' Middle School Imagine a school where each day is alive with learning and the spirit of adventure. Since its founding in 1998, The Girls' Middle School (GMS) has been committed to progressive education and innovative programming, meeting the needs of a wide range of middle school students who make up our vibrant, inclusive community. Our project-based curriculum encourages creative problem-solving, collaborative teamwork, and independent thought. GMS educates girls during a pivotal time in their lives. Girls develop self-knowledge, confidence, and leadership skills supported by a staff highly attuned to their changing emotional and social needs. GMS encourages girls to find their voices, take risks, and become self-reliant. Learn more about GMS: www.girlsms.org. GMS celebrates and is inclusive of different perspectives coming together in community. We are committed to broadening the diversity, in all dimensions, of our staff.
We are seeking part-time Academic Mentors/Tutors responsible for providing academic tutoring and social support to individual students and small groups. Academic Mentors supplement and enhance the student's classroom experiences and empower our young people with the tools to become confident, successful, and responsible citizens.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Support the GMS mission to "create an inclusive environment where academic growth is nourished.
- Ensure student comprehension of math and English/language arts-based concepts.
- Enforce policies governing after school student activity by using consistent and effective redirection techniques when needed.
- Work collaboratively with faculty and staff on-site to ensure the program is meeting students' needs.
- Attend academic mentor staff meetings and trainings.
- High school diploma and some post-secondary education desired. High school seniors with exceptional academic credentials may be considered.
- Proficiency in a wide range of academic disciplines, especially Math and English Language Arts subjects.
- Collaborative, warm personality with exceptional communication skills.
- Enthusiasm for and experience interacting with middle school students from diverse backgrounds.
- Reliable transportation for on-campus work is required.
Women of color, bilingual candidates, and women with high math confidence are especially encouraged to apply.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: Starting at $22.00/hour
The Girls' Middle School is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its hiring and promotion process without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, partnership status, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital, parental or familial status, national origin, ethnicity, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis.